Thursday, January 4

Live Music in 2006

I didn't get out as much as I would have liked this year. It was a busy one, with finishing up school, starting a new job and such; however, there were a few memorable evenings that deserve noting.

Yeah Yeah Yeah's at War Memorial
Fever to Tell still gets heavy rotation on my playlists, and Karen O is one the coolest girls in rock and roll since Chrissie Hynde. I could watch Karen O do almost anything, even forget the words to her songs (which she did a few times that night). This video is from the recent tour and shows her wrapping things around her head and her crazy harlequin-punk costumes designed by Christian Joy.


Cold War Kids at the Basement
I went to this show to see Figurines, and my friend went to see Tapes 'n Tapes. We had no idea that this little band of scruffy kids was going to steal the show. Highlights for me included percussion on a Pelligrino bottle and the spastic bass player. This video captures the vibe from that night and is also one of my favorite songs. They are getting a lot of attention now from their Robbers and Cowards release, it is well deserved.


Buddy Miller, Emmylou Harris, and Gillian Welch at the Opry

I am a Nashville native and I've never been to see the Opry. There, I said it. When Terrance came for a visit, he wanted to see the Opry and we were both excited at the lineup. I've seen a lot of shows at the Ryman, but seeing the Opry there is very very different. In addition to Emmylou, Buddy, and Gillian, Vince Gill was there and a few Opry old-timers sang Christmas songs. The Del McCoury Band also showed up and Buddy Miller sang his wife's "All My Tears" which is ironically impossible to not cry through. It was a moving very sweet, funny, and warm evening. How can you not love Little Jimmie Dickens?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Karen O was really you.

Terrance said...

As Little Jimmy Dickens once said,

"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"
"May an elephant caress you with his toes"
"May your wife be plagued with runners in her hose"
"May the bird of paradise fly up your nose"